Bye Bye Medela!

I will spare my readers the nice picture of the medela breast pump with the triplets and I, that my husband proudly took tonight. He was returning it to Prentice Women's Hospital where I gave birth and having been renting monthly ever since then.  In case your wondering, it was $85.00 a month. By now we could have owned one. Oh well.

Anyways, back to this whole picture thing.  It was rather endearing when my husband asked "Would you like me to take a picture of you and the triplets, before I take it back.? At first, I thought, not really, but then realized that this little medela machine had been a big part of ALL our lives for close to a year. And I guess ,it was kind of giving it a little bit of a farewell goodbye.

Up until about a month ago I was able to pump, rather diligently,  but as the triplets became more and more active, I was finding it harder and harder to find the time. I knew the time was coming.  It was time to say goodbye to my little companion.

I have to admit that in the beginning, I really hated the idea of pumping, as I was a diehard breastfeed ONLY with my first two children, and I was just as determined that the same deal would be with these triplets. My first two never had a bottle. In fact, I did not even have one in the house. And I wasn't giving these babies a bottle either.

Huh! This time around I was forced to lighten up. I soon found out that it wasn't that easy, as I needed an extra set of hands and time, which I did not have either.  I had to change my ways and give in to the idea that these babies were going to be bottle fed. And that is what happened. Morning and night, I pumped.

But now those days are all over. Sigh.... I do however still have one little nurser in the bunch. And that is Susannah. Kathleen stopped at 9 months and Reagan, well he never got the chance. He was born with a cleft lip and palate.

So Bye Bye Medela.... you taught me a lot. It is possible to change your beliefs about something that you once had strong feelings against.  I now have become an expert on how to make a really fast bottle and how to clean them with a bottle brush, and all that good stuff. And besides all this, the babies look absolutely adorable holding their own bottles, and with one hand too!

Well, what the heck, you really wouldn't mind seeing our medela farewell picture. 
Would you? Here it is!

 


Comments