Lovin' Quinoa

Quinoa. It is pronounced "Keen-Wa" This is a new grain that I have introduced to the triplets. Actually to my whole family. It is an ancient grain that has grown in South America for over 5,000 years in the Andes Mountains.  The Inca civilization called it the "mother of all grains" as they believed it was good for longevity. Works for me as I intend to live to be at least 102.

Actually Quinoa is not actually a grain, it is a seed, and for whatever reason it gets incorrectly called a grain.  And this little seed provides  all 9 essential amino acids; making it a complete protein! Not only this but Quinoa has fiber, calcium, and iron. Plus some other great nutrients!  This link gives you all the information about Quinoa. I hope the link works for you, if not , you can look it up for yourself. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=142&tname=foodspice



Quinoa fits perfectly into our lifestyle, as I really try to avoid meat. I just don't like it. And the goal is to get totally away from it.  Occasionally,  I may cook fish or chicken, but even that is a rarity, so this new discovery is a super delight.  It also has been a HIT with my husband, who has been accustomed to eating rice with every meal from growing up in the Phillipines. I now prepare Quinoa for him, instead of rice. Thank God he loves it, as I was bit nervous when I told him that I was not going to be feeding the babies rice, and I did not want to cook it anymore either.  First of all, I have never been a rice eater, but mainly the reason was because of the health risks for my family.

Rice contains arsenic. Alarming, right?  Well before you run to your cupboards and toss it out. Let me just say that this has always been known, but is just now getting some attention.  Depending on where the rice is grown and whether it is brown or white, the amount varies and at this point the recommendation for what children and adults should be eating from the American Academy of Pediatrics is still out until further data is provided by the FDA. They also say is you are including other grains in a balanced diet than the levels should cause no problem.  Well that's fine. But the fact of the matter is there won't be any more rice in this house until I get more data. I am not taking a chance with my babies.  My research tells me that arsenic in foods increases the risk of cancer. Enough info for me. And rice isn't the only food with arsenic, apple juice too!

So by now your probably wondering, is this about Rice or is this about Quinoa?  It's definitely about Quinoa.  And let me tell you about how I use it.   I cook it just like you cook rice.  1 part Quinoa to 2 parts water.  It is bland, so it can also be cooked with chicken or vegetable broth and/or spices, but we like it cooked with just water. Plus there is so much more that you can do with it.  The babies can eat it just like this. At first I would mix it with some vegetable or fruit puree, but now I don't. I just throw some on their tray. Although it makes a huge mess all over the floor, a sheet under their highchairs catches it all and I tell them to mess away.

I also use Quinoa to make cereal or what is better known as"Super Porridge." You can use any grain do this. This morning I used Barley. The book "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron  has the recipe for Super Porridge and all the little "nutritional enhancers" that you can add to it to really make it into a Super Porridge. This book is where most of my nutritional guidance for feeding my babies has come from. Let me warn you before you order it off of Amazon, although she has great information, the amount of information is a bit overwhelming, as she goes into the finest details on everything and has you flipping back and forth between pages to get additional information.  Just so you know that I am not exaggerating, she goes into detail on how to properly stack bowls in your refrigerator! Isn't that a bit much?

Hurry up Mom! We want our "Super Porridge"

                                                     So here's to lovin' Quinoa!

PS: Something tells me that I should be telling you that you should always check with your pediatrician first when you have questions about your babies nutritional needs. I am just an excited mother of triplets who is trying to raise her babies and family the most healthy way that I know how!





Comments