Easter Service

When my husband said several weeks ago about taking the babies to church on Easter, I was a little surprised at his optimism. But then again, maybe not so much. I had a flash back of when I was pregnant and he talked about dropping me off with the babies at the museum (which was near to where he worked) and I could just wait there while he worked. I thought he was joking or maybe I misunderstood him, and even asked, "Oh you mean when there older." No in fact he had meant after we brought them home from the hospital. So when he said about going to a church service with three 14 month babies (they turned 14 months on Easter), I was not at all surprised by this.  But this time he added, EVEN if it was just for 5 minutes.  Honestly, it wasn't hard to convince me, as I could visualize doing just that. Walking into church for just 5 minutes. For I knew that's all it would be, and having that memory, was worth it.

Once Alex walked in the door the babies were just waking up. He brought down one at a time and our dining room table became the changing station. Each baby was given a little basket with a couple of plastic eggs and a Easter Bunny and they were wearing their new pjs too.

Reagan is wearing an outfit that his brother Richard wore when he was a baby. That was just a few years ago. Okay 30 years ago.  And the girls are wearing frilly little dressed for the very first time. They also had matching white cardigans.  And off to church we went.

This church was not far from home and they had a service that was starting. When we tip toed in and sat in the last pew, I leaned over and whispered to my husband. "When I say it's time to go. we have to get up and go." I did not want to be the couple with the babies who made noise during a service. And for the next 10 minutes we sat quietly. It was peaceful and I felt blessed to have been able to just sit as a family and in a almost bare church.  There had to have been no more than 8 people.  Apparently, we were at the early bird service.

The church was filled with beautiful stained glass and the sun was shining through.The babies enjoyed this time. They too were taking it all in. I think we all enjoyed it. I did however wonder what the priest thought when he saw us creep in holding three babies and then to leave after such a short stay. Once outside, I reminded my husband who looked a  little disappointed of his own words, that it was about walking through the doors and sitting,  even if it was just for a brief stay.  Maybe next time we will get the chance to stay longer.

I often find my drive to do things, such as this, with the simple thought that my mother would often say to me. "If this time is going to pass anyways, why not do the things that you will remember." I think I changed the last few words this time,  but the idea is still there.  I do not hear those words so often from her anymore. Maybe, because I figured out what she meant along the way.

                                                      A few more pictures from the day.

On our way to church, waiting for our car.
Kathleen
Church
Susannah
Just got home and time for the triplets 14 month picture.
After Church and before heading our doors for some sunshine.
Kathleen likes to sort the movies
Susannah likes to empty the drawers
Were 14 months today!
Susannah on left. Kathleen on Right.
Reagan

Comments