18 months has arrived.

The triplets turned 18 months this week!  A part of me is stunned, that this much time, has gone by so quickly. I have three little babies, or I guess now toddlers, walking, and laughing, and playing together. It is just as much of a feeling of astonishment today, as it was on that night when they entered the world.

I can still remember when I called my mom from my 34 week appointment, and told her that I wasn't coming home, because I was checking into the hospital to be monitored. At least that is what they told me.  Some monitoring. The triplets were born within hours. The monitoring consisted of how I was going to deliver them! I still joke about how they tricked me into agreeing, as I was resistant to even going. I had developed pre-eclampsia and they wanted to deliver the babies. I was nervous, as I was a week and a half short of my goal of carrying them.  But even as scared as I felt, I knew in my heart that my babies would be just fine.

And they were. They were born just perfect; needing no help or support. Just a little time to feed and grow.

When they placed all my babies in my arms for the very first time, I was in awe of the miracle and blessing that I had been given; just as I still feel today. How was this even possible, was what kept going through my mind.

I find that I still have this thought every morning when I shout out "Good Morning" when I walk into their nursery.  I make my quick rounds and give each a kiss, before heading downstairs to drop one off, telling the others "I'll be back."



The triplets have come a long way over the last 18 months. We all have. My family went from two to five children and my first grandson was born a week before the triplets first birthday. We have somehow managed to survive the last year and a half without help, and it has been okay just that way. I actually am glad that my husband and I made that decision. Would I recommend for it for every family of multiples, probably not, but with the daily self reminders that this time too will pass, that thought in itself is what keeps me relishing the moments. I also think that my nursing practice of having a floor of patients, and my own personal experience with my "middle son"  has helped equip me for the job of mothering these little guys.

And speaking of my little guys, they have developed quite a few skills of their own. Here are a just a few, that they are doing and enjoying.

They can feed themselves with a spoon and fork. Kathleen likes to use a big persons fork, and is actually very good with it. Meals are still very stressful for ME.  I spend most of the time on my hands and knees wiping and cleaning, or running to save a drop. They can climb/walk up and downstairs (holding onto the rail). They are able to follow instructions. Will pick up their toys when asked, and understand mostly, what is being said to them.

Their receptive language is excellent. The expressive part is lagging, however Susannah, will probably be spewing out some words real soon, as she quite chatty with her own baby talk.  They all love to fasten the belts on their highchairs. It is an excellent diversion to keep them busy post meals, while I am still cleaning up. They are on one nap a day, and as a rule, they usually go back in their cribs for a second time in the afternoon, as I make rounds on the house. That means, the next meal is started. Laundry, cleaning up, and preparing for the 2nd half of the day. We go out everyday somewhere. Sometimes to the lakefront park. Sometimes just through our neighborhood, visiting stores, or just getting a walk in.  I have resumed running and the triplets are excellent running partners and good sports, when we head out. Their favorite group toy is the activity walker and their playhouse. They all enjoy watching "Elmos World" and "Old MacDonald/Baby Einstien."

Here's a little bit of their personality:


Reagan: He is sweet and tender in nature.  He loves to laugh and can be quite funny. He readily goes to other people. He loves to eat and has a very big appetite (and also has the most diaper changes).  He loves pushing around his little Tonka truck and wrestling with his sister, hugging them. We are working on hands to self now. Unfortunately, he has learned to pull down his siblings and grabbing hair, from his sister Kathleen.  He LOVES to bounce up and down in his crib. Reagan, also really enjoys walking around in circles, as well as practicing his backwards walk. Reagan has 8 teeth. 4 up top and 4 on the bottom.




Susannah: She is quiet and curious in nature. She also loves to laugh and can be comical. She likes to know that you are watching her, when she is doing something she is proud of doing. She does not go easily to other people. She is still yet to warm up to our neighbors, and her Nanny who comes in on Saturday mornings.  She also is still working on warming up to her Gramma who is here visiting. I think were getting close to that happening.  She does not like everything that I place on her tray at meal time, particularly anything orange.  Her favorite activity is to climb and bounce up and down in her crib.  Susannah has 8 teeth. 4 on top, 4 on the bottom.



Kathleen" She is determined and focused and comical. If she wants something that you have, she will take you down to get it, at least with her triplet siblings.  I joke about that. But it's kind of true. We will be sure to nurture that trait in a most positive way.  Kathleen is a bit of an expert with the use of an IPOD, IPAD, and my IPHONE. She can manipulate through the applications, change profile pictures on facebook, make phone calls, take pictures and record videos and make Skype calls. She also likes to dance when I out music on, moving from side to side. She becomes glued to the episode "Elmos World" and sings lalala lalala lalala and can tap with one foot. Kathleen has 6 teeth. 4 up top and 2 on the bottom.



I will end this post with telling my little babies, as one day they will read our story, that I love and adore them. I love and adore all my children. Thank you for coming into my life. May all your days ahead be a blessing. May you grow to be kind and loving. May you alway try your best at everything you do, and know that sometimes it takes trying again and again if you really want something. May you be giving and open to others, and slow to judge. Learn to be happy with what you have and share with those less fortunate.  Don't allow others tell you that you cannot do something and learn to hear your inner voice, but learn to listen to those, that have been there.  Learn to love simple and enjoy each day your in.  And when you end your day think of all your grateful for and let those people that you care for know it. Start your day with a smile and yell out to yourself "Today is going to be a great day!" For that is what I tell you every morning!

All my love,  Mom.

Comments