Visit to Lurie's Childrens Hospital

This week Reagan visited Luries Children's Hospital. His ENT visit  was a bit overdue, but we finally made it. In August, Reagan had a second set of ear tubes put in. The first ones came out on their own and  fluid was still present in both ears; so back in they went. Thankfully he has never had an ear infection, and from what I understand with cleft palate children, needing ear tubes because of fluid, is a pretty common thing. 


Before visiting ENT, we had to see Audiology for a follow up hearing test. He failed his newborn hearing test (most likely because of fluid) and the second test at 6 months showed some impairment. This time the test was inconclusive  (a mild hearing loss; maybe) so we will return in a month and do it again. There could be several reasons for this result.  As explained, ear tube placement, fluid, distraction; any of these could be a reason.  If he has similar results on the next evaluation, then a ABR(Auditory brainstem response) would be the recommendation; which would mean being put to sleep. Rather than attempt to explain this test, I'll just let  Wikipedia do that for me. 

While waiting to be seen by Audiology, I was struck at how quiet and empty this hospital always seems whenever we visit.  The hospital is still relatively new, located right in the heart of downtown; previously located on the north side of the city, where  the walls were filled with children's pictures and vibrant colors through out the facility. Why didn't they do that here?  Besides noticing how bare and plain it seemed, I also noticed what a perfect runway it would be for an active toddler.

  So before Reagan had time for that idea to form, I plopped him up on this bench to look out the window.  He has a fascination with cars, busses, basically anything with wheels, and thought he would enjoy staring down at them. But instead he spent his time looking up.  I think he is looking for an airplane, which he also is fascinated with. Actually, really fascinated. Whenever we go out for walk he is always looking up, pointing to one when he sees it, saying "apane, apane"
Meanwhile, while we are waiting the girls are with their Dad in the waiting room coloring with a volunteer.  Kathleen and Susannah really enjoyed this attention and activity. They don't get much of an opportunity to be with others and it made me feel proud to see them interacting with another person so well.


This was the first time that we did not all go in together on an appointment. 
No stroller this time and no packed room full of babies along with a  triplet stroller.
Instead, they wore these "Mommy Helper" harnesses. And they did really well. 
So here we are.  Just Reagan and I. This time waiting to be seen by ENT.
"Yep, that is where you're are going to sit." I tell him. 
It's not long before he discovers the computer keyboard and gets busy tapping away.
When the Dr. Rastatter came in and sat in the chair, he turned towards Reagan and said "So, you were trying to crack the password, huh, smart one you are.
The visit was a breeze. 5 minutes tops. 
The tubes were still in and instructions were given to come back in 6 months for a followup.  
There is no hurry to take them out and most times they just fall out on their own anyways.

With both appointments over, it's Reagan's opportunity to join in with his sisters and color.
He opted out when he saw this sitting in the corner. 
Told you he liked cars.
Dinner was fast approaching and it was time to leave.
Instead of going home, we headed to the cafeteria.
This has become somewhat of a tradition since coming here.
Almost forgot about doing that this time.

While waiting for my husband to order the food, I grabbed a few photos. 
 So far on every visit we have been lucky to get this table.
I like this table, because there is a south and west view of the downtown, and an east view of the lake.
A perfect way to round out the day and relax.
Okay, the "relax" part, is only a joke.

This time there are  no highchairs, but it wasn't long before I determined that we needed a few. We just didn't get the chance to locate them when we hit the floor. I told their Dad when he returned with a few "starters" as he called them, "Please, go get some high chairs." Okay, adding a few of these !!! was probably more like how I said it.

I was getting tired quickly, of the ups and downs from the chairs, and chasing and
grabbing whoever, while looking over my shoulder to see what the other two were doing.

A few fish crackers always does the trick.
A quick run around the table to get another shot.
Aren't they just cute little angels? 
Oh well, I got one to look at me. Thanks Susannah!

And they're off. 
But now there are THREE of us to run after them. 
Dad, Mom, and Jordan.
At this point, the attempt to feed them has come to an end. Most of it got whipped to the floor and me diving to save it.  I told my husband I was going to sit for three minutes,
and I wasn't going to do anything but sit and take in this view. 
 So that is what I did AND this is what he did. 
Three minutes were up and the kids had been watered and back on the elevator we went.  

On the way out, you have to pass this aquarium.  
They stood there mesmerized for about 30 seconds
until Susannah turned around and discovered this.
I told Susannah I was glad that she was having fun, 
but all good things must come to an end, and that it was time to go now.

To start the process to get them all moving in one direction,
I yelled out
Let's go, Lets' go! Go! Go!
 I always feel like a shepherd directing its herd, while hovering my hands around their little touches,
encouraging them to move forward.

It's nice when they catch on.
Kathleen is leading the pack here, yelling out herself...
"Go! Go! Go!"
And finally a little glimpse from the cafeteria. See the lake?

Comments