Better late than never....




My long runs are on Sunday AND this post almost didn't make it - but as the cliche goes -  better late than never... and I decided to just sneak it in.

It was a beautiful run and only four weeks left before marathon day.  My first snap was when I hit the bridge and the pier was lined with all these people fishing. I thought to myself, how ambitious to have gotten up so early and to make their way with their gear to cast their line and hope for the best. And then I thought to myself... well maybe they have the better idea.  Funny, how we all are inspired and motivated by different things... mine today was 18 miles.

I cannot tell you how excited I was to see the 'Fleet team' this morning. They have been out here every Sunday for months now and last Sunday when I ran 20 miles, they were no where to be found. I panicked because I had brought nothing with me, as I was counting on these guys to hydrate me. And by the way, it wasn't until this season, that I even realized that the Gatorade and water stations along the lakefront were for everyone. All these years I had been running by them, thinking they were for some special running group!

These guys are simply crazy. It's 48 degrees. No way would I even put one toe in the water, let alone take off my clothes... at least I am running, which is doing a great job at maintaining my body temp.
It's nice when you get a group of runners together and they help you pace...they helped me.... at least for awhile while I secretly tagged along.  Notice their long sleeves? I was wearing one too!

One of my favorite things about running is experiencing new things. This morning was another example of this. This is Navy Pier in Chicago. A quiet Navy Pier... without the hustle and bustle of everyone.  It is my first time running over here. I always just ran to the front and turned around. What a delight to have seen this.
The end of the pier.  The quietness and beauty gave me a feeling of peace and gratitude for this day. But it was only mile 6... 12 more.. so I ran a few more times around the pier, before heading else where.
More crazy people. But at least one has a full body suit. I wonder if they really keep you warm?

Now almost home and finishing up the run, I saw her. I had passed this woman once already and could not get a picture quick enough. But when I saw her coming my way again, I prepared myself and just had to steal a pic!  I wanted to high five her, but instead just admired her.  It brought back memories of my pregnancy days with the triplets and running.  Although I did not have the guts to run with my pregnant bare belly,  I did have weekly bare belly pics. To me it just seemed like a natural thing to do. There is nothing more beautiful and to me she is beautiful.

The things we see along the way!

Comments