Logging miles caught me by surprise!

The other day. Well, Friday. I was finishing a 5 mile run, when I saw a woman that I met this summer at one of the neighborhood parks. I yelled out " Hi" and I was going to keep on running pass, when I decided to just call it quits and say hello . And I am glad I did (by way she is a coach of Iron Man athletes.)

Here's how it went:

Neighbor: How's your training going?

Me:  I'm getting really tired. I don't know why. I am wondering if I picked the right program. I just don't feel like I am doing this right.

Neighbor : Laurel, you're a mother of TRIPLETS!!! They're 2!!!' And you're out here everyday!!!!

Me: Yea (nodding my head, but not feeling so inspired.)

Neighbor: What you're feeling right now is exactly what you're suppose to be feeling.....Exhausted... Going into your runs tired AND NOT feeling fully recovered, because you're not!!!! 

Me: Really???? Starting to feel a bit more inspired, while choking back a tear. Oh god! I've never cried over running! What is going on with me?

Neighbor: This is why they call this 'training' and not Race Day Laurel!!!  I tell this to all my athletes when they start to question what they're doing when they get to this point (because they all do.) I tell them remember why you started this, remember the reason,  and know that everything you're doing now is going to pay off. This is training and it is hard. This about you Laurel!

Me: You have no idea, how much I needed this.... Seriously, I think you just saved me. 

The chat went on a bit more... But it wasn't until then that I realized that I am feeling exactly what I am suppose to be feeling.  It all started last week... the feeling of never feeling fully recovered and last Sundays run was 18 miles and was one that I questioned on whether I could even finish or keep this up. 

Thank you neighbor!  I needed that talk. And as she heads to Wisconsin today for the Iron Man Event to watch her athletes and coach them through it. I am back on track mentally to keep it moving!

Here comes 20 mikes!!!!

Nice cool weather for it!

Smile!


Comments