Almost Brisked Away!

Yesterday morning we set out for downtown. Reagan was getting another set of ear tubes. This was his 3rd set.  And this time we left the girls at home (it's nice to have a visiting family member) which felt a bit odd and EASY.
We arrived  early and decided to hang out in the lobby before heading up. While waiting, Jordan had a little breakfast nearby. Reagan was not allowed anything to eat or drink, and just like the last 2 times, he did well while waiting. When I returned after getting Jordan settled, I found Dad and son having a little bonding moment. Alex was asking Reagan "Where do you want to go to college when you grow up?" And every time he gave him a choice, Reagan would respond "No bus." Don't worry Reagan, your Dad, I am sure, will be asking you this a lot!
Both Prentice Women's Hospital; where the triplets were born, and Luries Children's Hospital connect. Jordan is on the Prentice Women's side.  We spotted each other while he was eating.
While waiting I reflected on feeling so frightened when I was told he had a cleft palate during one of of many ultra sounds (and it wasn't until he was born that we also discovered that he had a cleft lip). Today, I just felt incredibly blessed, that this is all we have had to go through, when any of my babies (being a multiple) could have been born with significant more complications.
When it was time for the procedure, the doctor thought it would be an easy escape, but Reagan showed him other wise, and clung to me crying frantically. I was impressed that rather than forcing him, I was invited to go along, and it was a good thing that I did.  It seemed like a really long walk, with lots of turns down empty hallways.  The idea of Reagan crying with strange people dressed in scrubs whisking him away and then having a mask placed over him would have been traumatizing. So that is what I did. I went with him.  I held him and assured him that everything would be okay. Once asleep, I was told to give him a kiss, before returning to the room, to wait.

So why ear tubes again?

Reagan had one tube that had come out and was sitting on top of the ear drum with some fluid.  We found this out when he was on a follow up ENT visit. The other ear was intact. This time they would use a longer acting and slightly larger  tube (two year acting) in both ears. The smaller and short term ear tubes are expected to stay in for 6 months to a year. We made it to 6 months.  It was also explained fluid in the ear with cleft palate children is a common occurrence and luckily he has never had an ear infection. Along with his tubes being checked he was also given a hearing test. He has a small reduction in one ear (more than likely due to the fluid)  and it has been determined that there is no hearing loss in the other. So the questionable hearing loss that has followed him, seems to have resolved itself, and his speech and language is considered normal.  All good news!

The procedure went fast. A whole 6 minutes. The longest part was everything else. Once home, the girls ran up to Reagan, yelling, "  Hi Reagan, how are you? "It really caught me by surprise hearing this, and when they took turns in hugging each other, I felt so proud how bonded they really are.What also was amusing was Reagan attempting to play his game while giving a hug at the same  time!
That was the best!


Comments