Branching Out

 Yesterday I was scrambling to get out the door. I knew that we were going somewhere, just had no concrete plan, but branching out further with the Nihola was in the back of my mind.  Most of my decision making happens as  I go along, and that is what happened here.

When I made  the turn south onto this street and saw downtown way ahead of me, I was beginning to formulate some kind of plan.  I told the kids.. " I think we're going to go downtown!" We had just stopped and picked up some picnic items from Trader Joes, (which by the way, is my new favorite store) and we were off to find a new place and new experience for our day.
Within in minutes we had landed on the north side of downtown and I kept telling the kids that we would stop when we find a park so we could have our little picnic!
Just about every block, people were yelling out things to us. The Nihola is very popular. When this guyed flagged me down at the traffic light, he proceeded to tell me how he needs something like this too (twins and a three-tear-old) and could he please take a picture. I don't tell people no when they ask, because I know that I would be asking the same thing if I saw this on the street. I did ask him though, "would you mind getting one of us too..it's our first downtown outing with the Nihola"
Moving right along,  it seemed like a selfie kind of moment.. why not, right?
And here we are... I thought about my sister  Stephanie and the Chicago architecture book that she gave the kids when they were babies and how she said she could just see me pointing things out to them.... and yep, she was right... "look kids... see all the skyscrapers?" I do admit, that carrying that little book around will come in handy!
.
Getting down to this point was super easy! Chicago is bike friendly with all its bike paths.

Going over the bridge was fun, but once we hit the other side we were in the heart of downtown and that meant lots and lots of people and quickly finding myself up on the sidewalk along with them. When I glanced down the street I saw Millennium Park and yelled out "there's our park!" When we arrived there was a singer singing, preparing for the evening concert. I let the kids out and away they ran across the lawn at  (click here to see them in action ) Millennium Park while I watched and listened to the music being sung. I wrote yesterday that somewhere within the lyrics there were these words "and then the tears began to flow" and for me  it wasn't long before I felt those words... at least for a moment, before I  began the run after them!

I was going to end the post here, but living in this city has many contrasts and so did our day, so I'll keep it going!

After packing up, we stopped along at the beach. Seeing the words  "seeking random acts of kindness" written on this mans bag was a nice reminder to be kind and be nice to those that you do not know.  It also reminded me how life can be really so different for each of us and to be grateful for all that is good. I didn't get the chance to reach out to him. I hope I see him again one day. 
Turning  my head back towards my busy kids being busy digging was instantly gratifying. Only takes a minute or so to recharge.
And to see the Nihola sitting up there I definitetly was feeling grateful for being able to be exactly where we were.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!!!! Not just any kind of ride. A Nihola ride filled with three-year-olds!

Comments