Baptismal (times three)

Took 3.5 years to get ourselves to church - but we got it done. The occasion? A baptism. In this case three baptisms. Typically children are christened as infants, and I kind of presumed when they were born, that their baptism, might just get delayed. And it was. But the day finally did arrive and what a special ceremony it was. 

The big brothers stood up as godfathers and my daughter-in-law and a parishioner as godmothers.  Both my sons were happy to do so and so was my daughter-in-law. The parishioner was actually decided on at the last minute  (like a week ahead )when the priest suggested at the rehearsal that  it would be a way to help guide and support the children as they grow up in the church. I welcomed the idea  as my mother chose parishioners for me and for whom I will be eternally grateful for. The problem was that I didn't know any parishioners. I was told that there would be many within in the church that would be happy to sponsor them and sure enough the following day I received an email from the priest making a introduction between us.  Laura and I began a weeks long worth of back and fourths emails before meeting in person at a nearby play park.  She said she shouldn't have a problem identifying us with our "entourage" and she was on the  cathedrals website; she was the one lighting the candle. Reading this gave me a big smile. Things had fallen into place. The children had godparents and we were set to go. 

That morning our group of twelve set out down the street to jump in cabs.  Reagan led the way with his dad.
 While the rest followed.
It will take three cabs to get us downtown.
Baptisms are beautiful to witness. And these baptisms were no different. Each child stood on the little stool to prepare to bend their head over the basin, and all did just fine, particularly Susannah. She leaned her head over just as far as she could. It brought a laugh to all.  

While we didn't get the opportunity to get a group picture of the godparents, I did manage to get ONE with the children's parishioner Godmother! 
It has been 3 weeks since the ceremony and today we made it back. I wondered how they would respond to seeing their godmother. They needed no reminders.  Hugs and kisses were flowing when it came time to say goodbye.  It felt super good to witness. They are blessed.

Comments